Old 24-02-2007, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes Alan Holmes is offline

Default Opium poppies in Britain

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 15:47:56 +0000, Sacha

wrote:

On 23/2/07 15:43, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 08:46:44 +0000, Sacha

wrote:

On 23/2/07 07:47, in article
, "Les
Hemmings" wrote:

Des Higgins wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Some time ago we had a discussion about whether or not these would
grow *and* ripen in Britain. AFAIR, the general opinion was that
they would not.
However, on the uk.food group, someone has posted a link to an
interesting article:
http://tinyurl.com/36htzv

That is fascinating. AFAIK, the decorative ones that we are most
familiar with, do not produce much worth getting your grannies opium
pipe out from under the stairs for.

Des

http://www.poppies.org/faq/poppy-tea/

Les

Very revealing! Now I'm wondering what was the seed cake our grannies
used
to make?

Caraway seed cake?
http://www.foodfunandfacts.com/carawayseedcake.html

That's it - definitely not a taste I acquired.

For some reason I thought caraway and cummin were one and the same, until
looked them up. Both allegedly cure flatulence

I must add them to my daily intake of food!

Alan