Old 24-02-2007, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Bumble bee

On 24/2/07 17:24, in article , "Carol
Hague" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

We had a really huge bumble bee blundering against the panes of our bedroom
windows this morning. The day dawned sunny but has clouded over and it's
still pretty chilly. However, I did wonder if this poor chap had emerged
too soon or whether he's one of the weather prophets. I hope it's the
latter, because I don't see how we can get one more millilitre of rain onto
the land!

delurk

If it was particularly large it was probably a queen, looking for a
likely nest site.

That would do it. Yes, she was very large so I'm glad our bedroom window
had been shut just before her exploration! She was sort of holding onto
the window leads fluttering her wings.

I hope she hasn't got out from under her duvet too soon, poor thing.

That worries me, too. OTOH, if she has been up in the eaves of the house, I
hope she's gone back up there. We've had a day of intermittent rain and
very little watery sun though it hasn't been horribly cold, just a bit
dreary.

About a week ago or whenever we last had a sunny day, honey bees were very
busy on the Lonicera purpusii.

Haven't seen any bees around here yet (just south of Derby) but the
miniature daffodils are out in the back garden already and the cabbages
have germinated under cloches on my allotment.

Tète a tète aren't out yet though they're not far off but other varieties
are blazing away, the snowdrops are still going strong, plenty of Camellias
are in flower, so are Mahonias, Hellebores and a variety of other things
which seem to me to be overlapping each other much more than usual. The
Chaenomeles on the house wall is dripping with flowers.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk