Old 25-02-2007, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone Persephone is offline

Default Rain!

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 18:39:33 -0800, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

Persephone wrote:
Hallelujah! After a dry fall/winter, with only two mini-mists,
we're having a real rain today! The plants are thirstily drinking in
the good sky water, after months and months of treated faucet water.

Now, to gird my loins for weeding,weeding, and more weeding as
as soon as rain ends (downside)

Upside: getting my tomato seeds into the nice, lovely, welcoming
earth.

Persephone

(So. Calif Coastal)

Where I live, we've had 3.47 inches in the current rainy season. Yes,
in southern California every 0.01 inch is important.

In Los Angeles, I believe this January was the driest January on record.
The Sierra snowpack is less than half the average for this date.
Fortunately, the reservoirs are still quite full from the heavy rains of
two years ago.

By the way, the rainy season is reckoned to run October through
September, to have "years" that don't change in the middle of a storm.
However, little or no rain is expected after April or before November.

Reckoned according to whom??

I've been out here nearly 40 years, and we've never, that I can recall
had rain after March/April or before November, even in a good rain
year.

Remember, I'm talking coastal, and you're in the mountains,
from what I can tell.

Persphone

Persephone