Old 25-02-2007, 12:54 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default overall garden design

wrote in message
oups.com...

any ideas or advice? how do you do things at your place?
thanks!
kylie

I suggest that you should do some minimum plan even if you are not a
very plan person. Here are some ideas:

1) Spend several sessions just observing your garden, preferably over
several seasons. Note the characteristics of each area, eg aspect,
view, sunny/shady, damp/dry, good soil/poor soil etc etc

this must be a code for "stop rushing around doing things, & just observe
for a while" ;-)

2) List all the things that you want to do in your garden and their
requirements. For example:

- Install clothesline (needs to be easy access to the house, in the
sun and wind if possible)
- Allow kids to play (need grass, otherwise get rid of it!)
- Meditate (quiet)
- Grow veges (good sun and soil, access to water)
- Entertain (shade in summer, flat)
- Sunbake (privacy)

etc
etc

3) Work out where all the activities go and their priority
4) Work out if any earthworks or construction is required, these
generally must happen first, especially earthworks. You may get only
one chance (for example) to bring in trucks and equipment.
5) Start work on priority items and proceed as time and cash permit.

David

thanks david. i've got the veggies in a good spot (although other veggies
are all about the place, too - not sure if this is convenient or actually
inconvenient - it seems to be both). we did some minor earthworks which have
turned out to be really nice, so that's encouraging - yet at some point, we
need to either expand our house or build a new one, yet there isn't any
"natural" place one would do this. similarly, my clothesline is in a really
weird spot, yet i can't think of anywhere that would be better, despite much
thought. (perhaps i just need a brain transplant).

the kids can play anywhere, so that's cool. i'm trying to involve dh a bit
more, as he has good (if somewhat impractical & rather high-flown) ideas &
we can meet in the middle.

mainly i am going to take on board your advice to settle down & observe
more, & only do things i am sure about. frankly, i need a break anyway - i
think i have exhausted myself with this. :-) ta!
kylie