Old 24-02-2007, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default This group

In message , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
writes

"BoyPete" wrote in message
I've lurked for ages, just posting occasionally. I do hope my pond
orientated posts don't annoy. My garden is about 20ft square, nearly half
is pond now. Most people here seem to be 'real' gardeners, something I'd
love to be if I had the room! I dream of retiring to a large old house
with half an acre..........yeah.....dream on. In the past, I've grown
carrots, Swede, peas, runner beans, lettuce etc, but until recently,
especially sweet corn......great picked and straight on the BBQ Now, I
only have pots Something which bugs me, is the use of the Latin names
for plants. I realise that if you are really into gardening, these things
are important, but to the likes of me........an interested wannabe, they
are meaningless. It would be nice if folk could call plants by their
'common' name perhaps with the Latin in brackets? What do you think?
Thanks for a great friendly group.
--
ßôyþëtë

If you have grown all those veg then you are already a proper gardener.
Any idiot can grow annuals and perennials but veg gardening requires much
more skill.
Forget the half acre, some of the best and most charming gardens are
contained in very small areas.
As for the names bit-they aren't really Latin or scientific and sometimes
not even botanical.
You can talk about Busy Lizzie if you want but I prefer the name Impatiens
because the former name means different things to different people,
particularly outside the UK.

But Impatiens means many different things. There's the "New Guinea
Impatiens" grown as bedding plants, the Himalayan Balsam which is taken
over watercourses, Impatiens tinctoria which is grown as an ornamental
perennial, and more besides. In this case, either choice - Busy Lizzie
or Impations - depends on context for correct understanding.

Now go way and do your homework and report back on "Amorphophallus" :-)

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley