Old 25-02-2007, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Several questions

On 24/2/07 20:17, in article , "BoyPete"
wrote:

Last year, I bought two Pampas grass. One, I planted in the ground, the
other in a very large pot. The potted one appears to have died. I expected
it's growth to be restricted, but is being in a pot the likely cause of it's
demise?
Looking for 'interesting' looking plants for large pots. Will Blue Fescue
and Zebra Grass survive in a pot? (sorry, don't know the Latin
names.......I'm a 'common' gardener ) TIA.

At a guess, it didn't have enough drainage while the one in the ground did.
When you're buying new plants, either ask the nurseryman if you have one who
can answer your questions OR check out their required habitat before buying.
On the whole, if you give plants what they need in their original and native
land, they'll get by. You might be able to stretch cold/warmth a bit but
cold, wet roots will rarely help.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk