Old 25-02-2007, 01:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] judith.lea99@googlemail.com is offline

Default planting blueberries - pot size?

On 25 Feb, 00:01, "cliff_the_gardener"
wrote:
Sorry but have to advise I have three blueberries that came in 1l pots
- ex gardeners world special offer. Last year Tesco were selling
Goldtraube which looked like they had been raised as maxi plugs and
pushed into long tom type containers for a £5. OK Tesco not the
height of horticultural practice but sold that way for one reason -
price. Shrubs are out there in 1l containers. It isn't the end of
the world if they are - just have to wait a little longer thats all.

Besides as Sacha has said - the pot size (irrespective of what it is
is) wants a gradual increase.

The only point I would add to the conversation is to make note on
compost - one of the occasions where I think peat is needed. I would
use a blend of peat, B & Q soil improver and grit and some top soil to
the ratio of 3:2:1:1 The top soil just gives the mix a little body
without seriously raising the pH.

Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

As usual bad advice from the unmentioned one - newbies take note,
99.99% of the advice given here is good.

Judith at home and certainly not at work