Old 25-02-2007, 05:11 AM posted to rec.ponds
Reel McKoi[_2_] Reel McKoi[_2_] is offline

Default The benefits of UVC - newbie question

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
We found the UV not useful once the fall cold comes...the water is the
proverbial 'gin' (or tea) clear then.

Sometimes ours are gin clear in winter and sometimes one or more will stay a
bit green. As soon as the ice melted last week some of them started to turn
green. They're already up to 50F. The above ground ones that is. They're
out in the sun and the plants are still dormant so the algae starts right
up. I want to keep this one 650g tank clear as the fry are undersized. I
fed them today and any day they'll eat regardless of temperature. So far so
good. I'm trying to keep them alive until spring. They should make it if we
have a normal spring and no more real cold snaps.

We run it in the spring and
as needed other times. It is easy to tell if it is needed to keep the
green water down!

Ordinarily the 3 fry tanks can go green as the grass because no one sees
them but me. :-) I check them when they come up to eat.

Jim

--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.