Old 25-02-2007, 03:28 AM posted to aus.gardens
[email protected][_2_] hairyarms@aussiemail.com.au[_2_] is offline

Default Pickled chillies?

On Feb 24, 11:17 pm, Linda H wrote:
wrote:
Rather than just using salt or vinegar I make spare
chillis into sambal. This keeps indefinitely in the fridge and goes
very well with snacks and in (or with) Asian food. If you are
interested I will give you the recipe.

I would like to have the recipe for sambal please, David.

This is a rich sambal, simple ones are little but chillis, vinegar and
salt.

The quantities are not exact, taste test for your preference. This is
for a _big_ double handful of red chillis, I like medium hotness ones
as you want the chilli flavour not just arse-burn, if you use really
hot ones you are on your own. If you have more or less chilies adjust
the other ingredients. As it keeps well it is worth doing a large
batch.

- chillies with stalks, seeds and pith removed (leaving them in will
make the hotness dominate everything else but some like it that way)
Wear disposible gloves and don't rub your eye!
- onions two large peeled
- garlic 6 cloves peeled
- oil for frying, don't use EVOO, canola or other cheap oil is fine,
half or 3/4 of a cup
- salt 2 teaspoons
- lemon juice half a cup
- brown sugar half a cup

The following are all optional but worth the trouble in my opinion

- blachan (trasi) a lump about 2 tsps chopped up, not essential if you
don't have it but adds another dimension
- spices 2 desertspoons fresh finely ground, a mix of coriander seed,
cummin seed and the like are good
- nuts ground half a cup, I prefer candle nuts but unsalted cashews or
macadamias are good

Chop chillis, garlic and onions or blend them with oil until small but
not a fine paste. Fry in oil in a large frying pan over medium heat
stiring often. It should not catch or burn. The aim is to cook and
remove much of the water. When the mix has thickened and changed
colour (about 15 minutes) add the other ingredients. Break up the
trasi with the spoon.

Continue cooking and stiring, reducing heat if necessary, until the
mix is fairly stiff (does not slump on the spoon) and the oil starts
to separate. If it looks dry add more oil. The result should be a
rich red-brown colour with glossy oil on the surface of the paste but
not swimming in oil.

When cool keep in the fridge in jars with good lids.

-
Also, when you see whole chillis infused in long jars of EVO how long do
they last (if you do that yourself?)

This is somewhat risky as it is possible for botulism to grow in such
anaerobic conditions. To inhibit such growth the mix should be made
quite acidic with vinegar or sterilised with heat. Read up on this
before you risk poisoning. If done properly they should last many
months.

David