Old 25-02-2007, 07:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC JennyC is offline

Default This group

"BoyPete" wrote in message
I've lurked for ages, just posting occasionally. I do hope my pond
orientated posts don't annoy. My garden is about 20ft square, nearly half
is pond now. Most people here seem to be 'real' gardeners, something I'd
love to be if I had the room! I dream of retiring to a large old house
with half an acre..........yeah.....dream on. In the past, I've grown
carrots, Swede, peas, runner beans, lettuce etc, but until recently,
especially sweet corn......great picked and straight on the BBQ Now, I
only have pots Something which bugs me, is the use of the Latin names
for plants. I realise that if you are really into gardening, these things
are important, but to the likes of me........an interested wannabe, they
are meaningless. It would be nice if folk could call plants by their
'common' name perhaps with the Latin in brackets? What do you think?
Thanks for a great friendly group.

ßôyþëtë

Hi
I too am very bad with the Latin name....but they can be confusing as people
call things different names in different parts of the country.

Also Latin can be handy when looking for stuff - especially on the net. I
use these sometimes to translate stuff:
http://www.pp.clinet.fi/~mygarden/diction2.htm
http://www.plantpress.com/dictionary.html

Jenny