Old 25-02-2007, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\) Robert \(Plymouth\) is offline

Default Brussels Sprouts

"La Puce" wrote in message
ps.com...
: On 24 Feb, 22:16, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
: "La Puce" wrote .. Hullo. I'm surprised because I'm about to sow some
sprouts (for the
: Well in the UK they are grown in an open situation with plenty of room
: between them, don't crowd them, it will slow then right down.
: Bit early for planting seed isn't it?
:
: Thank Bob, that was quick - I've got the perfect spot then But you
: think it's too early? You're kidding - I'm hitching to start here!!
: I'm ready! I've got a closed veranda, cool and light, so it's perfect
: to start in trays. Not for sprouts? I've sowned artichokes too in
: pots. And in a couple of weeks I'll start all my flowers.

Sprouts need a long growing season, I shall be sowing mine in March and they
definitely perform best in full light. Digressing slightly, I am sowing
cabbages and purple sprouting later than usual these days because they are
ready far too early if I sow them as per what was usual, late March/April