Old 25-02-2007, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default planting blueberries - pot size?

On 25/2/07 00:01, in article
, "cliff_the_gardener"
wrote:

Sorry but have to advise I have three blueberries that came in 1l pots
- ex gardeners world special offer. Last year Tesco were selling
Goldtraube which looked like they had been raised as maxi plugs and
pushed into long tom type containers for a £5. OK Tesco not the
height of horticultural practice but sold that way for one reason -
price. Shrubs are out there in 1l containers. It isn't the end of
the world if they are - just have to wait a little longer thats all.

A lot depends on market forces and blueberries are 'in' right now. They're
very good to eat and they're very good for you! As you've pointed out, it's
possible to find shrubs in all sorts of container sizes and to some extent,
that depends on whether e.g. B&Q have bought a huge number from a wholesaler
and want to push them out fast, or perhaps a nursery brings on their own
stock and sells them at varying sizes.

Besides as Sacha has said - the pot size (irrespective of what it is
is) wants a gradual increase.

That's the key, of course and does not apply just to blueberries. We don't
take our baby tomato seedlings out of 7cm pots and put them straight into
growbags, either! ;-)
snip
--
Sacha