Old 25-02-2007, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default This group

On 25/2/07 05:26, in article
, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

Rupert wrote:

Forget the half acre, some of the best and most charming gardens are
contained in very small areas.

Very true and it is very much more difficult to garden successfully in
a small space. Any fool can hide a multitude of sins in a large
garden, but the slightest 'hiccup' in a small garden becomes glaringly
obvious. I like the fact that you've taken the bold step of
installing such a proportionally large pond. Most folks do the
opposite and create tiny features and plant tiny plants. It is a huge
mistake that accentuates the limitations of the plot. If well
executed, large bold features and plants can create the impression of
space.

Your own garden is a testament to what can be achieved in a really small
area and be made into something stunning.

As for the names bit-they aren't really Latin or scientific and sometimes
not even botanical.

Ah the complexities of Latin, Greek, Sanskrit and Arabic, let alone
mention the latinised human names!

You can talk about Busy Lizzie if you want but .....

Now go way and do your homework and report back on "Amorphophallus" :-)

Rupert! You've been reading far too many of Oasian posts ;-)

Don't take any notice BoyPete and for goodness sake, never admit to
having one! For my sins I have several, but I've been around long
enough not to care about what people think :-)

And the latter should be the motto of all gardeners - it's your patch of the
world, do what you like in it. The other day, driving back from Dulverton,
we were stopped by some temporary traffic lights and on our right was a very
ordinary, sloping lawn in front of a bungalow. I don't think there was a
flower bed in sight. It was absolutely plastered with all kinds of statuette
things - geese, cats, a collie, a golfer, a shire horse, rabbits etc. etc.
It's the sort of thing I'd run a mile from myself but we couldn't take our
eyes off it! Ray said that it must be murder every time they cut the grass
and had to move everything and I said that was probably half the fun of it
because then they can 'play' at re-arranging their little planet!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk