Old 25-02-2007, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default This group

On 25/2/07 07:37, in article , "BoyPete"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 24/2/07 21:55, in article
,
"BoyPete" wrote:

snip

The problem is Common names common to where? In UK they change from
county to county or even parish to parish so it's not helpful.
If the Latin names are used, they're recognised all over the world.
That's why they're used - for plantspeople and gardeners, it's the
universal language. I think it might be helpful to you to look at
the Latin names and then check out the common names which will be
entirely different in every corner of the planet.
To take one wild plant alone, I've seen it named here as 'goose
grass', 'sticky willie' and 'cleavers', depending on the region the
poster comes from. Latin names are unequivocal if you're talking to
someone in Berkshire or Bareclona.

Yes, I understand that now. Still, it's very off-putting to the likes of me
to see all that Latin in a post, and I tend to skip them.....possibly
missing some useful info.

If you can bear to bring yourself to learn them - at least the ones that
interest you, it will make it easier when you want to discuss them. I know
that some people mistakenly think that gardeners use Latin names to be
'snobby' but it does mean that whether we're talking to someone from Japan
to Katmandu, we all know what we're talking about.
OTOH, it doesn't stop us using the common names either!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk