Old 25-02-2007, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rob Hamadi Rob Hamadi is offline

Default This group

On Feb 25, 9:55 am, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message . com, Rob
Hamadi writes

How shaky would my ground be if I were to assume that, as a general
rule, the first word of the latin name IDs the plant and the second is
sort of extra information, style of thing?

Depends on what you mean by "the plant". The first word is the genus
which identifies a group of related plants, and the second word is the
specific epithet, which identifies the species, which is probably what a
botanist would identify as the plant.

I get you, as in (IIRC) cherries being Prunus whatever and apples
being a type of rose and so forth.

After that it all gets more complicated -

-snip complicated stuff-

You'll get no argument from me there... ;-)

--
Rob