Old 25-02-2007, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Brussels Sprouts

"La Puce" wrote after...
"Bob Hobden" replied to her
. I'm surprised because I'm about to sow some sprouts (for the
Well in the UK they are grown in an open situation with plenty of room
between them, don't crowd them, it will slow then right down.
Bit early for planting seed isn't it?

Thank Bob, that was quick - I've got the perfect spot then But you
think it's too early? You're kidding - I'm hitching to start here!!
I'm ready! I've got a closed veranda, cool and light, so it's perfect
to start in trays. Not for sprouts? I've sowned artichokes too in
pots. And in a couple of weeks I'll start all my flowers.

Well you aren't in the UK and I don't know how similar your weather pattern
is to where we are but it's too soon for anything like that here, they'd be
too big and leggy before you could plant them out at around Chelsea time.
We won't plant our Sprout seed (Trafalgar & Icarus) until the end of April
planting them out in their final spot at the beginning of June.
Do make sure you don't crowd them even with other plants, they need space
and a good strong individual stake if you are in a windy spot.

--
Regards
Bob H