Old 25-02-2007, 03:14 PM posted to rec.ponds
Tristin[_2_] Tristin[_2_] is offline

Default The benefits of UVC - newbie question

I don't imnd the algae that grows on the preforms or liners walls etc,
its the green bloom I do not like. I think cool or cold weather is
the only time a pond at least a natural pond or most larger ponds in
the deep south are really clear.......I know my pleco's love the algae
build up on the ponds sides.....So far I have weathered outside 8
pleco's for over 4 years now, and all are well over the 16" mark in
size......I also have a few smaller 12" and under outside for the
first time this year and they appear to be doing well, however I htink
with ideal conditions for growing this carpet algae, and the
metabolism of the plecos in colder water, they just can not keep up
with the algae as they can in summer time Just yesterday the wife and
I went to town, and took the long way home, and we both remarked how
nice all the ponds and such were........however in a few months they
will be all green and turbid once the warm weather sets in.

On 24 Feb 2007 19:46:14 -0800, "Phyllis and Jim"
wrote:

We found the UV not useful once the fall cold comes...the water is the
proverbial 'gin' (or tea) clear then. We run it in the spring and
as needed other times. It is easy to tell if it is needed to keep the
green water down!

Jim

-------