Old 25-02-2007, 07:57 PM posted to rec.ponds
Reel McKoi[_2_] Reel McKoi[_2_] is offline

Default re.Koi Food -

"~ jan" wrote in message
Right now I'm just doing some googling and found an article by Sandy
Yosha,
who has no involvement with fish food makers. She was our vet for the
KHA's
paid by the AKCA, she now works for a very big vet. clinic in Florida
doing
only fish.

From this website:
http://www.nda.agric.za/docs/AAPS/Ar...koi%20husb.pdf

This small insert:
Nutritional Diseases- (Review the Nutrition section). Nutritional diseases
fall into two categories: deficiency or toxicity. The most common
deficiency known to date is vitamin C, which can cause
crooked backs, bone deformities, bleeding, abnormal wound healing and many
other problems.

* I've never seen that in my fish indoors or out. They have access to C rich
algae and fresh oranges (which they love).

Vitamin C deficiency compromises the immune system so that
the koi are more susceptible to other diseases.
With the advent of stabilized vitamin C in the food (a synthetic vitamin C
that is much more stable than natural vitamin C), vitamin C deficiency is
less common. However, much less is known about the other
vitamin deficiencies in koi and they might be suspected in cases where the
cause of disease is not immediately obvious. The signs of deficiency or
toxicity are complex and subtle, and are covered in the
supplemental textbook for this course. Also review the AKCA Guide to Koi
Nutrition and the nutrition sections of this course.

The KHA is not likely to be dealing with vitamin deficiency if the fish
are
eating a quality diet, but if they are not, it will be one of the first
changes in husbandry that the KHA should suggest.

BoldCatfish and trout chows are not appropriate feed for koi.Bold

* For what reason? Trout and Catfish don't require vitamin C?

Many will debate the quality of koi feeds, but there are many good choices
that are commercially available. All feeds are not necessarily appropriate
for all life stages or for all seasons.

* And NOTE please that they don't state that fact on the bags no matter how
outrageously expensive.

One fact is certain, good quality
feed will contain stabilized or synthetic vitamin C. Review the nutrition
sections for additional information. In order to maintain nutritional
value, check the shelf life of the feed, the date of milling or freshness,
buy in small quantity and keep the feed dry and cool. Freezing pelleted
feed is not recommended, but short term freezing of pelleted feed
containing a medicine can be done since it is a small quantity....
----
I met Sandy, really respect her knowledge, I know she doesn't work for the
pet food industry.

* She didn't mention why catfish and trout chows are "not appropriate"
either.

Her write up, and there is far more to it than the
above, including pictures, is well worth the read. As it is more than just
nutrition. Unless I hear back for the KHA board on a better article, you
all can google as easily as I can. :-) I'm convinced, and like I said, an
owner can feed their fish, dog, cat whatever they want, IMHO. I just
don't
think it is prudent to be telling other people who ask, "What is best?" To
go in that direction. ~ jan

* If they ask what is BEST they should get replies from everyone as to what
is BEST for THEIR fish, under their conditions in their zone. No one can
know what is best for the person asking unless they have the same set-up in
the same climate zone etc. Even then.... how can you be sure? People
should be told that others do have great success with the cheaper feeds.
Why deny them that knowledge? Let them chose which route to take. Paying
$10 a lb is no guarantee the food is any better than food costing $4 a lb.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.