Old 25-02-2007, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default This group

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
"Les Hemmings" writes:

| I enjoy learning the names, what they mean and getting my tongue
|round them.
| It adds some depth to the hobby. Many interesting links crop up that may
| suprise too. The genus Solanum is one...
|
| Solanum tuberosum - Potato
| " capsicum - Chilli
| " lycopersicum -Tomato
| " melongena - Aubergine

Well, that's one classification. In others, chillis and tomatoes are
in separate species. And there is considerable debate over exactly
how chillis should be classified (as there is with squashes).

DNA data has tomato deep within Solanum - in fact as closer to potatoes
that are many other unquestioned species of Solanum - which is why the
botanists have moved tomatoes back into Solanum.

However, Solanum capsicum isn't chilli; it's Jerusalem Cherry. Chillis
are Capsicum species, and belong to the same group of Solanaceae as
Solanum, but within any concept of Solanum with any degree of
acceptance.

If you take the classifications as any more than a convenience, you
will assuredly go mad. There ARE important scientific reasons to
prefer one classification over another, but they are largely
irrelevant to anyone except the more academic botanists.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley