Old 25-02-2007, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes Alan Holmes is offline

Default This group

wrote in message
ps.com...
On 25 Feb, 00:23, Sacha wrote:
On 24/2/07 21:55, in article ,
"BoyPete"

wrote:
I've lurked for ages, just posting occasionally. I do hope my pond
orientated posts don't annoy. My garden is about 20ft square, nearly
half is
pond now. Most people here seem to be 'real' gardeners, something I'd
love
to be if I had the room! I dream of retiring to a large old house with
half
an acre..........yeah.....dream on. In the past, I've grown carrots,
Swede,
peas, runner beans, lettuce etc, but until recently, especially sweet
corn......great picked and straight on the BBQ Now, I only have pots
Something which bugs me, is the use of the Latin names for plants.
realise that if you are really into gardening, these things are
important,
but to the likes of me........an interested wannabe, they are
meaningless.
It would be nice if folk could call plants by their 'common' name
perhaps
with the Latin in brackets? What do you think? Thanks for a great
friendly
group.

The problem is Common names common to where? In UK they change from
county
to county or even parish to parish so it's not helpful.
If the Latin names are used, they're recognised all over the world.
That's
why they're used - for plantspeople and gardeners, it's the universal
language. I think it might be helpful to you to look at the Latin names
and
then check out the common names which will be entirely different in every
corner of the planet.
To take one wild plant alone, I've seen it named here as 'goose grass',
'sticky willie' and 'cleavers', depending on the region the poster comes
from. Latin names are unequivocal if you're talking to someone in
Berkshire or Bareclona.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Now then Sacha, I don't live in Berkshire or Barcelona, so I use the
common name as I am ignorant.

I do live in Berkshire, but anything other than the common name confuses me!

Alan

Judith at home and still not at work