Old 25-02-2007, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default This group

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article . com,
"Rob Hamadi" writes:

| Thanks. It seems to me from what you've explained that it's just* a
| matter of learning the "grammar" of the classification system, then
| expanding one's vocabulary. The fact that many of the words are Latin
| is, to some extent, a red herring.

Precisely. They are semi-systematic gibberish, as distinct from the
English names, which are often total gibberish - if you read ANYTHING
into an English name, you run the risk of confusing yourself at best
and killing yourself and your family at worst.

You mean like an apple is edible and a thorn-apple is deadly? Or, IIRC,
one plant called a may-apple has an edible fruit, and the other a
poisonous fruit.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--