Old 25-02-2007, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Carol Hague Carol Hague is offline

Default Bumble bee

Sue wrote:

"Carol Hague" wrote
snip

Still not sure what to plant yet. There's a fair bit of mature ivy
coming over the wall, which I don't want to disturb as it's good
insect hiding territory.

You may also get wrens roosting and nesting in the ivy; they seem to
love a good old tangle of mature ivy as a nesting site.

For their sake I hope not - we have cats who would infortunately make
short work of any bird unwise enough to nest in our garden :-(

I need to unearth my gardening books from the spare room and look up
what plants will like the shde :-)

Ooh, hellebores. Definitely. Did anyone see CK on Gardeners' World last
night?

I have argutifolius and foetidus and a smokey plum coloured one with no
name, which are all doing well, but I covet that lovely lemon yellow one
she was planting.

Oh good idea - thank you. A nice white one to go near the back sounds
good (the soil is higher there - not quite the bank that CK recommends,
but close). I tend to favour white flowers a bit as my husband, who has
impaired sight can see them much better from the house.

Last month I was able to take over an allotment (complete with
shed) and am gleefully planning my fruit and veg growing thereon.

Happy allotmenteering.

Thank you!
--
Carol (near Derby)
"Never trust a man wearing leather shorts and a plastic dressing gown"