Old 25-02-2007, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Muddymike Muddymike is offline

Default What have you achived in the garden this weekend?

I have had a very satisfying weekend in the garden tackling the ivy that had
been left to do its own thing for years by the former owners. I am trying to
thicken up a very sparse laurel and holly hedge at the front. First step
this weekend was converting this.

http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10023?sort=5

To this.

http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10024?sort=5

Next step will be to do the same from the inside of the fence. Then I want
to fill the gaps with more laurel. or should I plant something else? The
problem being will laurel do well when overshadowed like this.

http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10025?sort=5

Another thought is would some kind of rambling rose grow amongst the laurel
to give some flowers and add a prickly barrier. The area faces East but
there are a lot of trees above and further to the west.

Mike