Old 25-02-2007, 06:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Gene Schurg Gene Schurg is offline

Default Mormodes tezontle x 2

KB,

Actually I was surprised you were able to get it to the show in the first
place. I had a Cycnodes Jean E. Monnier that bloomed and I took it to the
society meeting once. By the time I got to the meeting I had pollen all
over the car and the flowers died in the next 36 hours.

Gene

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Gene, the reply I sent sounded snotty when I looked at it later. Please
believe me I didn't intend it that way. Just that I knew going in that by
putting the Mormodes in the show (where it'd get all bumped and jostled in
transport etc) all the pollen would pop, so I made a lame joke about folks
stealing it.

Apologies in advance,

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
KB,

You don't have any pollen because the Mormodes throw it at the insect
that pollenates the flower. All you have to do is bump the plant and
*BAM* you have this sticky stuff with the pollen stuck to you. The glue
is stronger than superglue sometimes.

It's fun to show someone who doesn't know orchids. Have them go to touch
the flower and *BAM*.

Unfortunately, the flower soon dies after it does this.

I love the Mormodes and relatives.

Good Growing,
Gene

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Mormodes tezontle from Mexico, I think... Another returnee from the
POE, and all the anther caps are gone... I wonder if folks took my
pollen? LOL! Nah, more likely it was just beaten up in the display tear
down. Those of you who display yourplants should be aware of the fact
that tear down means exactly that. Toss 'em in a box and get the heck
home!

K Barrett