Old 25-02-2007, 08:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle Penelope Periwinkle is offline

Default Claim: 342 lbs of tomatoes from a single Better Boy

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 22:35:51 -0500, "J."
wrote:

The following hyperbolic ad copy is from Gurney's latest catalog, page
23, for the "Better Boy" tomato:

"Guinness record holder -- 342 pounds of fruit from one plant!"

The Guiness World Records web site doesn't report anything, and I don't
have their book.

But, I've grown Better Boys every year for the past 10 years and in my
best seasons I haven't come remotely close to anything like that. A
bushel or two maybe, but nothing near 342 lbs.

Assuming the claim is true, how do they do it?

With their thumbs on the scale, I suspect.

I suppose you could extend the season by keeping the plant in a
greenhouse and moderate the hottest summertime temperatures so it
produces continuously; but I still find 342 pounds from one plant a
bit of a stretch.

Penelope
- "pointed"