Old 25-02-2007, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7 wendy7 is offline

Default Growing Orchid Seed...Everyone should try this once

Good for you Gene, now I would like to see a sequence of macro pics in a
time date report please!
Cheers Wendy
"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
Last summer I started a pod on my Dendrobium antennatum. After waiting
and watching and waiting and watching a golf ball size fruit developed.
Without notice (at least it could have called my cell phone after all I
did for this plant) the pod exploded and one day I noticed want looked
like small wood shavings all over the plants around the dendrob. I was
_________ (fill in the blank and happy is not one of the choices).

So I gathered what I could from the pod so I could take it to someone to
try to sew in flask. On a neighboring Cattleya plant there was a large
deposit of seed. I took a bulb pan and put some old potting mix from some
paphs I was repoting. I knocked a bunch of seeds into the pan with the
old used mix. I figured it might have the fungus necessary for growth and
it would be fun to watch to see what happens.

Today under the 10x magnifier I can see bunches of the seed turning a
granny smith green and looking like real plant material.

Even if I don't get anything to grow up and bloom this is a great chance
to see how orchids grow in the wild (without leaving my greenhouse).

Now I know Al and Ray and the rest of you who flask seed everyday are
saying this guy is wacked. I can show you a whole basement full of orchid
seed sprouting but I am excited to see that nature really works sometimes.

Good Growing,
Gene