Old 25-02-2007, 09:47 PM posted to rec.ponds
Tristin[_2_] Tristin[_2_] is offline

Default re.Koi Food - OT - has lost its link with the original thread

I buy and feed mainly Nutro brand dog foods, and my dogs do fine,
however I do have a hybrid wolf 97% that can not exist on commerical
prepared dog foods......Period. Since we have a pretty wide open
hunting season here in Alabama, and can shoot a deer daily form the
start to the end of the season, which is basically from Mid Oct to
end of Jan, I made it a point to shot enough deer to fill up a
deepfreeze of 29 cu ft capacity. We also butcher our own beef,so out
dogs and the wolf gets more real meat which includes innerds as well
as the good stuyff. Deer is reserved strictly for the dogs and wolf
but we do share the beef and pork......Also have goats we intend to
offer up to them as well.

Oh, and my wolf and dogs have eaten koi as well as the wife and I....I
just am not of the belief that dogs can exist on grains alone witn a
bit of meaty artifical flaor or rancid greases and scraps blended
in...Same for the fish.....the foods contain more fish meal stuff
than grains and cereals.......

Worst foods made are those sold under the WAlly World name of Special
Kitty or Old Roy'........We to used to have problems with smell, dong
crap that never would go away and turn into white petrified
lumps.......nasty fishy breath, dull coats, dry skin......not any more
since Old Roy brand feeds went away and Nutro brand feeds came on
board along with rations of real meat and fish. I save the cereal
grains fo rthe goats......and steers.

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 18:45:08 GMT, wrote:

I am old enough to remember when we had dogs we bought frozen raw horse meat for
them. later my parents starting feeding "kibble". I have one dog (inherited) who
went to emergency with congestive heart failure. 1500 bucks later I got back a nearly
dead dog with "6 months to live". She is allergic to nearly everything. She looked
listless on her allergy and then her "heart" diet and her fur (she is a Pom) was like
straw. At the same time our new springer broke out in hot spots and granuloma.
1.5 years ago I switched all the dogs to a raw meaty bone diet, the Pom is fed whole
raw fish (that includes head, tail, innards). Within a week she is back to bright,
sassy, and now her fur is like silk. It is now 1 year 9 months since she almost
died. None of my dogs have bad teeth anymore, none foul breath, none itchy or
problem skin, their coats are all full and lush.

Dog evolved for over a million years and their food is nearly 100% raw meaty bone.
Now that so many "premium" diets are sickening and killing dogs due to fungal toxins
growing on the grain used in the diets, so many dogs have allergies, cancer, etc.
more people are taking dogs back to natural raw meaty bones diets.

Who has the money and interest to do the research to answer these questions? it isnt
simply one dog food, there are hundreds. For most dogs the grain based food works OK
so the number of dogs would have to be very large to get any kind of significance.
Or maybe not.

I do know one thing brought home the need for proper food diets was a study I'd seen
done on ferrets. I used to have ferrets but it broke my heart that they went into
this horrible decline between 2-3 and died so young. I had no idea why this was
happening until I read up on raw diets for dogs, then did a search on the net.

http://www.wessexferretclub.co.uk/comments.htm It is not standard research, but
some one that has tried various things and kept track.

I think the same is true of fish. Koi and Goldfish dont eat "veggies", they eat the
itty bitty critters on the algae. In China and Japan they power feed the young ones
live food like blood worms, black worms, daphnia, etc. all manner of "meat". I have
been feeding my koi a high quality koi food, Rangen koi color. It isnt ideal, but I
havent had any disease in my fish since I went to this food (and a veggie filter and
heating the pond in winter). So I dont really know which is responsible for the
health of my fish. In spring I do see a little bit of white crap on a few of them,
especially my black koi which show everything. But as the water warms it goes away.

I feed my 22 fish about 1/2 cup a day. The less waste grains in the food, the less
mess in the water, the less ammonia too. This coming year I am going to look for
even more natural food, something like this
http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/FISH...eze_dried.html

Ingrid

~ jan wrote:
I do have a reply to Roy who said something about people shouldn't have
these critters if they aren't gonna feed them right. We have to remember
that dog chow doesn't even have that long a history. People fed their dogs
scraps off the table, right? Someone saw a market and here we be.

I just feel, with what we know today, that we ought to take advantage of
that knowledge. What you feed your own critters is up to you, but what you
recommend to others you ought to do with some integrity, based on recent
studies.

Sho Koi, delivered to my door, runs me less than $5/lb. and I'd save even
more if I could order 50 lbs. of it. Manda Fu, including delivery, runs
$15/throw pillow size bag. It is very light weight, so one can't go by
weight. Probably why it is so easily digested and a great fall/spring food.
~ jan

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com