Old 26-02-2007, 12:30 AM posted to rec.ponds
Nick Cramer Nick Cramer is offline

Default re.Koi Food - OT - has lost its link with the original thread

wrote:
[ . . . ]
I think the same is true of fish. Koi and Goldfish dont eat "veggies",
they eat the itty bitty critters on the algae. In China and Japan they
power feed the young ones live food like blood worms, black worms,
daphnia, etc. all manner of "meat". I have been feeding my koi a high
quality koi food, Rangen koi color. It isnt ideal, but I havent had any
disease in my fish since I went to this food (and a veggie filter and
heating the pond in winter). So I dont really know which is responsible
for the health of my fish. In spring I do see a little bit of white crap
on a few of them, especially my black koi which show everything. But as
the water warms it goes away.

I feed my 22 fish about 1/2 cup a day. The less waste grains in the
food, the less mess in the water, the less ammonia too. This coming year
I am going to look for even more natural food, something like this
http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/FISH...dy_freeze_drie
d.html
[ . . . ]

Hi, Ingrid,

Thanks for that. Very informative. I fed my first Doberman raw beef. He was
healthy as a horse! I fed my koi on freeze dried krill (from Asahi Koi in
Garden Grove, CA). My SIL has been taking care of them for the last few
years and feeds them a lot of fresh and frozen worms, etc. They're now 15
years old, with no health problems.

~Semper Fi~ www.delphiayachtsusa.com