Old 26-02-2007, 04:07 AM posted to rec.ponds
Reel McKoi[_2_] Reel McKoi[_2_] is offline

Default re.Koi Food -

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
Jan,

Thanks for pursuing the article. Lots of good stuff in it.

She is very clear about not liking trout and catfish food. I am sorry
she does not discuss the deficiencies of it any further. I wonder if
they are they as simple as lacking vitamin C or bigger in the
composition of the food.

I don't know that I will move to more expensive food, but I have a
clear vet statement about not liking catfish food.

Now I need to find a supplier like the one that Roy has for cheap koi
food.

=========================
The cheapest koi food I found still runs $5 a lb. That adds up fast when
you have a lot of fish. I didn't see the benefits promised either. They ate
the same amount of the expensive feed as they did the cheaper feed. The
filters needed cleaning just as often. The algae was no worse or better.
The koi reached fall thinner than usual and had 4 months of fasting to
endure. The smallest ones already died. I wont repeat the same things
again.

The vet doesn't mention her reason for not liking the cheaper food and there
is no information on her research, what brands she used, under what
conditions etc. After being fooled by research results before, I want more
information than someone's word for something.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.