Old 26-02-2007, 04:19 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tomes Tomes is offline

Default acorn management

"JimR" wrote ...
"Chas Hurst" wrote ...
"lucky4fingers" wrote ...
Our oak tree is now ~16" diameter, 70 ft tall, and has a drip line of
~
40ft. It is also producing an enornmous amount of acorns. Any ideas on
how
to control / dispose of them short of cutting down the tree?
TIA

You can't do much about the acorn production. Since it's a tree-shaded
area, if you don't need the area for sports or some other intensive use,
why not redo the area under the tree with a different ground cover than
sod -- perhaps something like ivy or ferns-- and the acorns will be
hidden under the ground cover -- plus you'll almost never have to mow or
give it any other care. Another option would be to turn the entire area
under the tree into a mulched garden, perhaps filled with azaleas and/or
camellias, depending upon your location. Regards --

I like this thought best. If you need to pull stuff up to remake the
area, be careful not to muck up the roots. Find out about them first from
someone who knows.
Tomes