Old 26-02-2007, 01:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Lemon tree flowering in Cambridge, UK

On 26 Feb 2007 04:46:09 -0800, wrote:

Hi,
I got a large lemon tree which now is about to flower. This is very
exciting given that it's the first time in it's 5 year life that it's
doing so and that I sown the lemon tree myself from lemons bought in
the supermarket. I guess the warm winter this year has helped as I've
had it standing outside in its pot practically every day since Xmas
apart from the few nights with frost. Although it had a few flowers
last summer it was suffering from pests and lost them quickly.

However, some problems with pests do persist. One is some larvae that
tends to use the leafs as a cocoon whilst eating them away. The
insects curl up the leafs with some protective sticky web and leave
their larvae their to feed off the leafs (not sure if this is the
exact reproductive cycle of the beasts). Some flower buds are also
affected. I'm not sure what sort of insects the larvae are but would
be glad to get advice on how to get rid of them once and for all.

Thanks,

Rob

If indeed these are what's known as leaf rollers, they can be treated
very effectively using Bacillus thuringiensis or Bt-K sold as a liquid
or powder. It is a natural biologican way to get rid of caterpillars.

I don't think the leaf rollers are what's causing your lemon to lose
flowers. Depending on what variety of lemon you used to sow the lemon
tree is going to determine its fertility. You may want to go out with
a small paint brush and take pollen from flowers and just pollinate
each flower. I do this the moment each of my lemon trees set flowers
and from two 5 foot trees I get many dozens of lemons.