Old 26-02-2007, 10:09 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default overall garden design

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 25, 11:54 am, "0tterbot" wrote:

mainly i am going to take on board your advice to settle down & observe
more, & only do things i am sure about. frankly, i need a break anyway -
think i have exhausted myself with this. :-) ta!
kylie- Hide quoted text -

One other thing just sprung to mind. One reason to observe over
several seasons is to see where and when the sun shines as the seasons
change. There are a number of freeware utilities and web-based
calculators (one called 'ephemeris' by Sachs) that will calculate the
position of the sun for you at any time. Here is one reference, there
are many:

http://www.bythom.com/calculate.htm

From the angles provided using some a compass, stakes, string etc you

can map out where shadows will fall (say in Winter) without waiting
for the seasons to change. This will help you determine the effect of
trellises, verandahs, deciduous trees etc as far as trying to get
shade in summer and sun in winter, or make sure that the location of
the vege garden has sun all year around.

good heavens!! the things they have these days. thank you! (naturally the
situation is complicated by living 1/2 way down a valley and with many other
large trees, but i'll get dh onto that when he is deciding where he wants
his hop trellis to go.) might be handy for our new verandah (one day -
snort) too.

we had to cut down a huge tree (it's now resprouting) because it cast shadow
on the solar panels most of the day in winter, i.e. when we got here.

as an aside, it's kind of amazing the things the 7th day adventists have
info on.

as another aside, you would think the solar installer (i know who he is)
would not have made such a ridiculous mistake.

i think that is enough asides now. thanks for that.
kylie