Old 26-02-2007, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default How much water do rhododendrons need?

HI Chris

On 26 Feb 2007 09:40:04 GMT, wrote:

We have a site where we have cleared a number of large (i.e 50ft high)
Leylandii and we're thinking of planting some rhododendrons there.

From what I have read etc. it would seem that they will like the
acidity etc. but I'm not quite sure if the ground will be damp enough
for them. Although there is a lot of humus the underlying ground is
sandy and well drained so it's relatively dry and rainfall is low
(we're in Suffolk) - though you might not think so just at the moment!

So, will rhododenrons be OK?

A 'non-expert' response.......

There were quite a few rhodies that we use to pass on the way into
Woodbridge - just alongside RAF Woodbridge. The general situation
there was sandy heathland (much like your location) - so I'm guessing
that they'd be perfectly happy....

There were also quite a few on the road down towards Orford - though
that did appear to be a bit more damp.....

From experience many years ago working as a volunteer for the National
Trust, once you get them established rhodies are pretty well
indestructible - and will become quite invasive - so they're perhaps
not as 'tender' as one might think....

Maybe you could do something to give them a bit more 'local' dampness
- along the lines of planting broad beans in a trench lined with damp
newspaper - but again - I'm guessing ! g

Hope this helps
Adrian