Old 26-02-2007, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Ipomea

In article ,
Janet Tweedy writes:

| Searching the Web indicates that it is globally self-sterile, because
| its pollen is non-viable (I can't remember if it doesn't germinate, or
| germinates and fails to reach the ovary).
|
| Ah well at least one of the plants I saw last year had seeds.
| I did get three seeds from an early set pod (with permission) but they
| didn't germinate.

I think that you will find that it is NOT I. indica. In fact, I am
surprised at that Web page, because at least most forms are much darker,
I didn't know that there was a white form, and the leaves look wrong.
When I referred to a Web search, I was using the more botanical hits
as authoritative, incidentally. See the following for a more typical
set of flowers and leaves:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...5728110.html?3

I have also never discovered whether the darker one that was/is common
in Turkey and was grown by my great aunt is I. indica or something else.

My guess is that what is on that Web page and what you are referring
to is a different plant. Now, whether what I know as I. indica is
the true I. indica, or whether what that page and/or you do is, I
am less certain. I should have to find a genuinely authoritative
reference in Ipomoea to be sure. And, of course, the botanists may
well be playing name games again :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.