Old 26-02-2007, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Grass to garden -- what's the best approach?

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:47:38 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

I have a large area between our front walkway and the stockade fence that
I'm tired of mowing. Since it is almost entirely in shade, I think I'd
like to turn it into a mint garden this year. I don't care about spreading
because if the mint goes under the fence and into the yard it just makes
the dogs smell nice. I also have no objection to just mowing it like lawn
if it crops up where I don't want it.

What's the best way to make sure that I get garden there and not mint
sprinkled with regrown grass? I was going to rent a tiller and turn up the
sod but then what? Do I remove the sod chunks or do I just chop it, turn
it under and hope it becomes green manure and not more grass? Is it better
to remove all the sod and then replace the missing dirt with top soil? If
some grass sprouts up down the line, will the mature mint plants smother it
out?

All opinions and experiences welcome.

Thx.

When I do this I water well and two days later get out with my sharp
edging spade and remove the sod by hand, sitting there shaking the
soil off as I go. You can also rent a sod cutter or pay someone to do
it. I like getting down in the dirt and breaking up clumps, etc.
Never do this if the soil is too wet as you will ruin the texture for
good. Do not mow it under unless it is rye.