Old 26-02-2007, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Lloyd John Lloyd is offline

Default Frogspawn in Shropshire

In article , MadCow
writes
In message et, Sally
Thompson writes

Saw our first frogspawn of the year today - two weeks earlier than usual
(last year was on 11th March). I think this is very early for this part of
the country. We went out just now with the torch and the big pond is teeming
with frogs. Quite lifts the heart.

My tiny pond (in Reading) could easily freeze over in March, but some
frog has laid a huge mass of spawn in a shallow place, with some of the
spawn sticking up above water level.

Also newts already in the pond, which seems early to us although we haven't
kept a record of dates of those.

I'd like newts. Would they be able to survive in small suburban gardens
if I could get some spawn?

They do, along with the frogs, in our tiny pool and small garden in the
Black Country.
--
John Lloyd, West Midlands, UK.