Old 26-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Cucumbers?

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 19:56:51 +0100, "rmw"
wrote:

Hi All.

what do you mean by English cucumbers ?. hear are some varieties from a
Marshalls catalouge. U. K. see if any ring a bell. green house. Athene,
tyria, Saladin, and Ilas. out door. Gracius, Burpless Tasty Green and
Marketmore. Gherkin. Bimbostar. I hope this is of some help to you.

I'll translate. My husband's English, I'm American.

The cucumbers in this country are shorter, fatter, and have
more seeds. My husband had never seen cucumbers such as are
commonly available and grown in the USA until he emigrated
here. These are cheap to buy he sometimes as low as
three of them for $1.00. They're easy to grow here too.

Our stores do sell what we call 'English cucumbers' - My
husband says that they are the typical cucumber as sold in
the UK. They're expensive here, usually $2 or more EACH.

But I believe they can only be grown in greenhouses in most
of the USA, that they need a longer growing season than we
can provide in most areas of the USA.

Pat
--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY