Old 26-02-2007, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Garden Birds

On 26/2/07 19:51, in article ,
"Alan McKenzie" wrote:

Birds in the last few days have been very sparse - usually get a few
Blackbirds, one male with a white patch on his right chest - been here a few
years, Robins, Sparrows and the mandatory Ring Necked or Collared Doves and
pigeons.

Did you see the press photographs of the blackbird that is pied? It's not
an albino and it doesn't just have a fleck here or there, it's genuinely
pied. Apparently, hopes are not high for its survival because it is so
conspicuous. I would add to that my fear/belief that its own kind will kill
it.

However two days ago had a sparrow hawk perched on the main feeding
station - only seen the pigeons the last day or two.

They don't usually take wood pigeons, or so we're told, but they will take
collared doves.

Have tried to attract tits and other species with sunflower hearts and nigra
seed - over the last three months but to know avail - my friend a few
streets away gets loads feeding from feeders filled with those seeds.

We put out nigra seeds and have a strong suspicion that the squirrels are
benefiting most! I've hung a bird feeder outside my study window and that
is on the first floor of the house, not the ground floor. I have tied it
with fishing line to the interior window catch and then swung it outside and
hastily closed the window to trap the feeder outside. No squirrel gets to
this one, so I can enjoy the birds that do.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk