Old 27-02-2007, 12:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Grave Yard Guy Grave Yard Guy is offline

Default Starting seeds indoors-help!

Yes, but you planted so many of each variety because you were worried
about damping off. If you didn't have to plant so many, it would be
easier to get them all under proper lighting so the seedlings wouldn't
be too long and spindly.

You do get that, right? Your plants are long and spindly because
they're not getting enough light.

I don't learn fast, but I learn well!! Duh, it was logical to me that white,
spindly plants were due to insufficient light. I just thought that the large
S/SW windows were adequate and I allowed the ole friend to confuse me with
his statement about not starting the seed in bright light.

I've now cut back on this year's planned seed startings. All the windows and
glass shelving have been scrubbed and polished to crystal clarity, so as not
to lose a drop of natural light. After tapping my retirement account and a
trip to Lowe's, my windows now look like an airport runway.

Thanks to all for the advice, suggestions and patience.

Do I dare ask what the current thinking is on red plastic and tomatoes?