Old 27-02-2007, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle Penelope Periwinkle is offline

Default Starting seeds indoors-help!

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 12:03:07 GMT, "Grave Yard Guy"
wrote:

You do get that, right? Your plants are long and spindly because
they're not getting enough light.

I don't learn fast, but I learn well!! Duh, it was logical to me that white,
spindly plants were due to insufficient light. I just thought that the large
S/SW windows were adequate and I allowed the ole friend to confuse me with
his statement about not starting the seed in bright light.

Good!

I've now cut back on this year's planned seed startings. All the windows and
glass shelving have been scrubbed and polished to crystal clarity, so as not
to lose a drop of natural light. After tapping my retirement account and a
trip to Lowe's, my windows now look like an airport runway.

A little tin foil behind the plants can reflect a lot of light back,
too.

Thanks to all for the advice, suggestions and patience.

Do I dare ask what the current thinking is on red plastic and tomatoes?

Ask me in a few months. I'm going to give it a try this year. I
googled on the subject and found these articles :
http://plasticulture.cas.psu.edu/RedMulch.htm
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3741/is_n10_v45/ai_20095593
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~taber/Extension/Progress%20Rpt%2000/redmulch.pdf
http://lubbock.tamu.edu/horticulture/documents/EffectsofPlasticMulchTypeonTomatoGrowthandYield_20 04_.pdf
http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/pdfs/data/1997/152-24/15224-13.pdf

As you can see, the signals are mixed, so I'm just going to try it for
myself. While red mulch is what I hear about the most, I was also
interested to see that other colors are being tested, and some show
better results than the red.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"