Old 27-02-2007, 05:07 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Grubs

They are attracted to the yeast used in making beer, not the beer
itself. There are other methods I've used which does not require
killing them. Open a package of dry yeast, or a cube if you know what
that is, and paint it onto a smooth piece of wood and place it where
the slugs are the most concentrated. In the morning you can lift the
board and put the slugs elsewhere. If you can identify the eggs and
put them elsewhere in a dark, moist place on soil, that will reduce
your population.

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 08:56:24 -0600, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
"Justin Wilson" wrote:

Does the beer just attract them, or does it also get rid of them?

They crawl into it and drown.
It's really been _very_ effective for us, more so for slugs than snails.

My slug infestation is finally down to a minimum.

I wonder if they like hops? As an IPA drinker, I could put down some Dog
Fish Head 90 min IPA!

Worth a shot. :-)

Shallow plant bottoms holding about 1/2" to 3/4" deep have worked. I
think they get drunk. I've watched them. At first they just crawl to the
edge of the beer and drink, then they crawl into it and die.

Cheers!
Kat