Old 27-02-2007, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default What's Your Poison?

On 27/2/07 21:00, in article , "Robert
(Plymouth)" wrote:

Keith (Dorset) wrote:
: Who are your favourite TV garden presenters?
:
: Mine are all dead!!!
:
: Harry Dodson
: Geoff Hamilton
: Percy Thrower.
:
: Is it something they ate? ;-)
:
:
: Now:
:
: Roy Lancaster
: Anne Swithinbank
: Bob Flowerdew
:
: Oh, and Rachel... goes without saying

Mine a
Geoffrey Smith
Fred Downham
Geoff Hamilton
Bob Flowerdew

I don't go much on Alan Tichmarsh, he doesn't seem to be a real gardener to
me

I think he's very knowledgeable but has committed the grave sin of being a
good TV presenter, too. Like it or loathe it, he does a very, very good job
of talking to people through their tv screens as if he was in their living
room with them. It's a true gift for a presenter and he has it in spades.
Percy Thrower was a real gardener but when doing a tv prog at my outlaws'
garden, the hole for the plant was dug for him and he was then presented
with the plant, the spade and the hole. I watched it all while the BBC OB
van was at the top of their drive. It's all smoke and mirrors. ;-)
Geoff Hamilton was superb and I like Anne Swithinbank and Sarah Raven. To
be honest, I think I might like rather more if they were allowed just to
talk about gardening and plants and didn't have to go off into drifts of
rapture over blurry grasses and irritating un-labelled shots of plants of
which I'd really like to know the names.
And while I'm having a grump, why, oh WHY, do TV programme directors find it
interesting/desirable/ necessary, to play music over the speech soundtrack?
If I want to listen to music, I'll listen to music. But when I want to
listen to someone talking about hens or plants or old houses or space
rockets, I don't need muzak in the background. Humph.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk