Old 28-02-2007, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default This group

In article , Sacha
writes

A bit like the presant pronunsiation of Beaconsfield, which is a place where
they had a beacon, but the 'posh' people call it beckons-field as in someone
trying to get your attention, but I always refer to it as a place where
there was a beacon!

Ray, who is an Essex man, says much the same about people pronouncing
Theydon Bois with 'bois' as in French, whereas the locals calls it Theydon
Boys!

Living near 'Bekonsfield' I gave up years ago saying it as though a
beacon
We also have Chesham Bois and as Sacha says everyone pronounces it Boys!
However there's going to be a Time team programme on Bois House in the
next month and maybe we'll learn what we should call it from that!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph