Old 28-02-2007, 05:02 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
Thank you for your very helpful reply echinosum!

My name is maybe a bit confusing - I actually live in Scotland. (No parrots around last time I looked!) We're in the Edinburgh area.

My husband thinks we can attempt to prune the tree ourselves from your very helpful directions, but I am unsure where to look for someone to help with the local pest issues. Do you know what kind of thing I should look up online or in the telephone book? Thank you again for your help.
In Britain the main pest issues are what I said above - grease bands and/or winter tar oil spray against codling moth, which are the standard worms in your apple, ants (grease band - though someone on GQT suggested giving sacrificial jam to them, then they won't bother with the apple tree) and aphids (spraying to get rid of them if really bad).
No parrots in Edinburgh yet? I wonder how long till they arrive. We haven't got them either, yet, but they've got them in Slough which isn't much more than 10 miles away.