Old 28-02-2007, 04:11 PM posted to rec.ponds
G Pearce G Pearce is offline

Default Cannas in the Pond

Up here in SW Ont, I had great success with sun-impatiens as long as I kept
them partly shaded (go figure) in a 1" styrofoam with 3/4" holes drilled in
it (as Tristin said). I rinsed the dirt off the roots and dropped the plant
through the holes. I put the sytofoam in one of those mesh plant baskets on
a shelf so the water in the pond was just high enough to trap the styrofoam
so it couldn't float away. Within a month the foam and basket were not
visible, but when the sun would shine directly on them , they wilted a bit,
but came right back as soon as a little shade hit them
Gale :~)
"~ jan" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:46:08 -0600, Tristin
wrote:

I have a bunch of canna's planted aornd one section of the one pond
and they do great. Lowes one year was selling "aquatic Cannas"

There are true (& hardy) cannas, but many aquatic Cannas are simply ones
that have been conditioned. Better to do your own then pay 5 to 10 times
have someone do it for you. ;-) My favorite is Cleopatra.

Anothe rplanyt that does good in water is impatients.....

I've had mixed success with them, but I have seen LOVELY pictures of those
who have had GREAT success. Seems in streams they do very well. I had my
best success in floating islands.

If you take piece of foam and poke holes in it, and place an impatient
in each hole then float the foam, it makes a nice floating island of
color..I use a piecxe of monofiliament line with a small weight tied
to it,float the impatieint islands out in place and anchor with
weighted fishing line.....

Yes! And it looks very cool once they've covered the float. :-) I just
wish
I had a bigger pond, I did mine in my big pots by the front door, gave up
on heavy soil and went to water plants. I still can get color by using
some
terrestrial plants that don't mind wet roots. ~ jan