Old 28-02-2007, 06:11 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman Gill Passman is offline

Default Cannas in the Pond

G Pearce wrote:
Up here in SW Ont, I had great success with sun-impatiens as long as I kept
them partly shaded (go figure) in a 1" styrofoam with 3/4" holes drilled in
it (as Tristin said). I rinsed the dirt off the roots and dropped the plant
through the holes. I put the sytofoam in one of those mesh plant baskets on
a shelf so the water in the pond was just high enough to trap the styrofoam
so it couldn't float away. Within a month the foam and basket were not
visible, but when the sun would shine directly on them , they wilted a bit,
but came right back as soon as a little shade hit them
Gale :~)

I would never have thought of impatiens as being "water plants" but then
thinking how easy it is to root cuttings from them in just a plain glass
of water it makes sense that they can be successful - certainly would
get away from my usual issue with them of forgetting to water them
enough - lol....I've seen hanging balls of impatiens - I guess the
effect would be pretty much the same - pretty :-)

Gill