Old 28-02-2007, 07:23 PM posted to rec.ponds
Tristin[_2_] Tristin[_2_] is offline

Default Cannas in the Pond

Just look at the stems of impatients. They are mostly water.
They love wet environments, but as stated not really great infull sun,
but then mine has always done just great in this region in full sun
without the first bit of shade floating in a pond.

The ones we had around the gazeebo on the pond bank were always eat up
with bugs......and it was an never ending chore to keep them clear of
the bugs....bot those in the water onthr foam floats did great.....

I have also taken sheet foam and cut holes to fit those typical
shallow bowl hanging baskets etc and used sand or gravel with other
flowers in them as well to make floating islands, but the impatients
are by far the best ones to use.
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 18:11:14 +0000, Gill Passman
wrote:

G Pearce wrote:
Up here in SW Ont, I had great success with sun-impatiens as long as I kept
them partly shaded (go figure) in a 1" styrofoam with 3/4" holes drilled in
it (as Tristin said). I rinsed the dirt off the roots and dropped the plant
through the holes. I put the sytofoam in one of those mesh plant baskets on
a shelf so the water in the pond was just high enough to trap the styrofoam
so it couldn't float away. Within a month the foam and basket were not
visible, but when the sun would shine directly on them , they wilted a bit,
but came right back as soon as a little shade hit them
Gale :~)

I would never have thought of impatiens as being "water plants" but then
thinking how easy it is to root cuttings from them in just a plain glass
of water it makes sense that they can be successful - certainly would
get away from my usual issue with them of forgetting to water them
enough - lol....I've seen hanging balls of impatiens - I guess the
effect would be pretty much the same - pretty :-)

Gill

-------