Old 28-02-2007, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default peat free compost

On 28/2/07 11:16, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

I haven't had much luck with peat free compost especially in sowing
seeds, though I once got a solid block of coir from the Worm compost
people as a freebie and I found that newly rooted cuttings of shrubs etc
did superbly well. (Never sure why though!)

I came across this website about coir on the net when looking to compare
the price of proper seed composts.
http://www.fertilefibre.com/

What do the experts think? It seems expensive but useful if you want to
stay as 'green' as possible

snip

I'm afraid we are firmly peat users and likely to stay that way. We've seen
and occasionally been given plants grown in other mediums and they perk up
like nobody's business once they're given a pot of peat to live in.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk