Old 28-02-2007, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
graham graham is offline

Default This group

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
43.53...
Sacha wrote in
. uk:

On 28/2/07 14:19, in article
, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

Janet Tweedy wrote:

Living near 'Bekonsfield' I gave up years ago saying it as though a
beacon
We also have Chesham Bois and as Sacha says everyone pronounces it
Boys! However there's going to be a Time team programme on Bois
House in the next month and maybe we'll learn what we should call it
from that!

Depending upon who you talk to, St Austell in Cornwall, is Snozzle,
Sun-Ozzle or Sane-Ossle. I play safe and say "Sun-Ostel" and it's
never caused a raised eyebrow. Likewise Launceston, which seems to
divide its time between being Laansten and Lawnston. Not being
related to or well-acquainted with Denzil Penworthy, I'm never quite
sure what to say.

There's a bit of a division here in Devon as well. Totnes is
variously Totnus (said quickly with no emphasis) or more commonly
Tot- Ness. I'm assured by a pal who is from an old Tonesian family
that Totnus is used by true local and that Tot-Ness is used by
outsiders.

And then there's Dittisham (Ditsum) and Topsham (Topsum).

Near Brissle/Bristol there is Almsbury/Almondsbury,
Coongsbury/Congresbury, Gloster/Gloucester,
Sissiter/Cirencester. And that's without straying
"over the bridge".

Further afield, Annick/Alnwick is a traditional pitfall,
and there's also Lester/Leicester (etc), of course.

How does one pronounce Nempnett Thrubwell, a village S of Bristol)?
Graham