Old 28-02-2007, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Back briefly for apricot advice please

I'm in inner city Leeds, Yorkshire so there's no point in southerners
bothering to reply - conditions are very different :-)

I want to get an apricot tree, I'm assured that they will produce fruit here
if grown in a protected, sunny site.

I can do that but not with a wall behind it, which is recommended, unless we
build one which would have to be done from the friendly neighbour's garden.
He's co-operative and wants to build a garage in that spot anyway -
eventually.

The site is reasonably sheltered and gets full sun (when it's out!). The
local temperature is higher than in less built-up regions.

Would it help to put a temporary panel of a less heat retentive material -
wood, plastic, glass - until a wall can be built?

Would the panel (hem!) advise training the apricot as a fan or other shape
or having it as a small tree? I'd prefer it to be flat against the
fence/wall.

Do I need to know anything else?

Mary